The ups and downs of life often result in generating stress among individuals. It may be either the result of some happy event (Getting married, new job, moving to a new home, etc.) or any difficult situation (Loss of a job, death or a loved one, divorce, etc.) However, nothing that triggers stress in person A needs to be stressful for person B as well.
Stress is all well and good until its moderate, motivating you to achieve your life goals and gives you an energy boost to perform any task. The problem arises when it persists for a longer period and cause adverse effects on your health. In case, you are unsure to identify between good stress or bad stress, let me give you a clear understanding.
Good stress is short-term and is likely to provide the following benefits:
- Energy boost
- Increases motivation and confidence
- Improves immune system
- Increases alertness and performance
- Improves memory
On the contrary, if you are unable to get over any stressful situation for a longer period then it can become harmful and lead to the following negative impacts on your health:
- Increases risk of heart diseases
- Digestive problems
- Rapid weight gains or loss
- High blood pressure and blood sugar level
- Fertility issues
On that account, it becomes essential to address such stress that gives rise to numerous serious health problems. Keeping that in mind, I have arranged a few simple strategies to manage stress effectively. Let’s have a look below:
- It is the key to manage stress in the best possible way. It increases the chances of having a healthy response towards any particular situation that usually crosses your path and triggers your response.
- For example, The very first day of your new job might be stressful as you are new to everything be it the assigned task, colleagues, environment, etc. But, if you feel that you have the ability to deal with it, the response is more likely to be healthy. On the other hand, feeling worried and tensed may end up on making you less productive and tired throughout the day – which is worse of course!
Talk to Your Beloved Ones
Helpless about any situation increases more stress. Therefore, it is advised to open your heart out with someone and share what you are feeling inside. Talking with a friend, family member, colleague, etc. is a great way to lower the burden of stress that you carry and seek various solutions to put a permanent end on it.
Only that, it will also help to get rid of the following problems caused by stress.
- Fear to face a stressful situation
- Decreases anxiety
- Distraction from stressful thoughts
- Release unnecessary tension
e.g. – You are assigned a new project but you don’t know how to start with it in the first place. In such situations, talk to the concerned person, share your thoughts and take their feedback on it before beginning. Trust me, it will give you a new perspective to finish the project.
Follow an Active Lifestyle
It is one of the most powerful stress buster. Whenever you feel upset or anxious about anything, go for a walk in the fresh air. Believe me, it will lift your mood and you will feel way more energized. Regardless, exercising should be a part of your daily regime to healthily respond to stress. Physical activity is necessary to mold how you perceive stress and induce better sleep as well, which is usually interrupted due to the burden of thoughts that keeps on revolving in the mind.
Indulge in at least 60 minutes of workout daily to relax your mind and body. Following a sedentary lifestyle is the worst thing that you can do to yourself. Rest you are smart enough to take a final decision!
Intake a Healthy Diet
Nutritious food helps a lot to reduce stress levels, anxiety and encourage a good mood. Besides that, it helps to stay fit in the long run and curb on craving for unhealthy food items that further increases the stress level.
For that reason, you must include stress relieving food items in your diet to fight off fluctuating stress levels. Besides that, here are a few important points worth to consider for coping up with stress:
- Limit the consumption of unhealthy junk food
- Drink plenty of water to maintain the electrolyte balance of the body
- Avoid consuming sugary drinks that lead to energy crashes and making you feel irritated/sluggish, instead prefer naturally sweet and pure juices
Accept Your Imperfections
But not least, accept the way that you are if you wish to enjoy a stress-free life. As discussed earlier, stress is a part of everyday life and you are no different since everyone experiences it. We have to remember that no one is perfect but those who at least try to overcome their imperfections increase their chances of living a healthier and happier life.
Expecting things every single time from yourself because it will end up causing more stress. We are human and we are allowed to make mistakes. Just try to jot down your response to any stressful situation and improvise how you reacted to it the next time if it occurs.
Do not hesitate to book an appointment with the professional in case you are unable to cope with stress even after trying endlessly.
Keeping a positive attitude throughout life is a great way to deal with any stressful situation. You can easily get through any rough period of your life if you change your attitude and have optimistic thoughts towards it. Those people who have self-control over such situations and feel confident enough to deal with them are more likely to have a healthier response.
Try to change your perception and take stress as little hurdles of life. All the best!